Thursday, December 29, 2011

HGE review: Beef Strips from the Backpack

For those of you who haven't heard, a few weeks ago I purchased a really sweet dehydrator. And have been drying fruit and making jerky almost every week.

Well, I decided to try out a marinade/recipe for jerky from the hunger games cookbook. It's called Beef Strips from the Backpack in reference to the jerky that Katniss found in the only thing she was able to grab from the cornucopia in the 74th hunger games.

Anyway, I purchased 5lbs of beef sirloin tips from the local Hispanic butcher here in Falls Church with the intent of using half for the HGE recipe and half for a more traditional teriyaki recipe. Either way I should end up with a little over a pound of jerky!!!

The great thing about getting meat from the butcher rather than the grocery aisle is that you can save a lot of prep time by having the butcher cut your jerky strips for you! Just specify the thickness and they cut away!! For jerky 1/4 inch thick will do.

After procuring the beef it was on to making the marinade, and being an amateur foodie, I had all the ingredients at home already.

Although I have made jerky a few times in the past, I am by no means an expert so it was fun to try to mix up a new marinade. I usually just take the easy route by just using kikoman teriyaki sauce and add a bit of habanero sauce to spice it up. But the HG recipe was a bit more complex, with honey, and tabasco added to the usual soy and Worcestershire sauce, and spices.





Throw everything in a ziplock bag and wait 12+ hours. Then dehydrate!





After about 6 hours here's what I got:









Delicious dried goodness!!

It. Is. So. Good.

I served some up to my roomie and Freddi from the bike shop and they are hooked! We are planning to make another batch this weekend.



Posted using BlogPress from iPhone

No comments: